A one day course focusing on parental substance misuse, hidden harm and related issues.
New figures indicate that approximately 3.4 million children in the UK live with at least one binge drinking parent, 2.6 million live with a hazardous drinker and around 1 million live with a parent who uses illicit drugs.
• Overview of substances (includes alcohol, crack, heroin and commonly used NPS)
• Impact of drugs on families
• Implications for children
• Provision of need for children – asking the right questions
• Assessing the impact of drugs on parenting capacity
• Risk Factors
• Protective factors, treatment, support and making appropriate referrals
Aim & Objectives
• To increase knowledge and awareness of hidden harm
• To improved confidence in identifying and dealing with cases of hidden harm
• Understanding responsibilities when working with a parent / s who use drugs / alcohol
• Identifying risk and assess the impact drugs and alcohol can have on parenting capacity
• Increase protective factors for parents and children
• Improved knowledge of signposting routes to help address identified hidden harm
The course will be accompanied by a training package and certificate on completion of the training.
Testimonial – -Parental Substance Misuse. September 2018
We are a team of 5, who support year 7 to 6th form with all levels and areas of mentoring and 1st aid, in a large Academy just outside of Slough, joining us in the training a few SEN staff and teachers. The training was extremely well received and all who took part were fully engaged right up until the end. Tony showed that he was extremely knowledgeable on the subject and this made the day interesting, with a few areas where we could engage in scenarios as well. Tony`s delivery was in tune with the teams needs and although it’s a serious subject, we were able to have some laughs as well.