This course is now delivered online via Zoom, please enquire for details.
Cannabis or hemp are a product of the plant Cannabis sativa , indica and ruderalis. It is consumed in different forms and goes by various names such as grass, weed, marijuana or ganja in its herbal form and ‘hashish’, ‘solid’ or ‘soap bar’ in its resinous form. Cannabis can also come as an oil or concentrate such as ‘shatter’ and is now used in medicine as a spray (Sativex) and other applications such as supposotries and patches are being explored. Though the main psychoactive chemical compound in cannabis is THC, the plant is known to contain about sixty or so cannabinoids.
A one or two day, knowledge and skills-based cannabis training course. The course focuses on specific interventions, health, psychiatric issues and appropriate treatment.
The course covers;
- History of hemp
- Current world and UK situation
- Different types
- How cannabis works
- Synthetic cannabinoids
- Health and Psychiatric implications
- Current treatment
Aims and objectives
- Increase knowledge and awareness of the issues relating to cannabis use
- Increase knowledge of how cannabis is used and the effects upon individual’s physiology and neurology
- Understand the possible affects on health.
- Increase confidence in working with this client group
- Increase competence in working with this client group
Staff that will benefit from this training include:
Drug Workers & Managers, Social Workers, Health / Mental Health Workers, Nurses & GPs, Psychiatrist, Youth Workers, Anti-Social Behaviour Workers, Youth Offending Teams, Probation Staff, Prison Staff, Teachers, University Staff, Student Unions, Housing Workers,
Drug and alcohol national occupational standards
- AA1 Recognise indications of substance misuse and refer individuals to specialists
- HSC233 Relate to, and interact with, individuals
- HSC3111 Promote the equality, diversity, rights and responsibilities of individuals
- AB2 Support individuals who are substance users
- HSC33 Develop your own knowledge and practice
- AD1 Raise awareness about substances, their use and effects