Amphetamine & methamphetamine are psycho-stimulant drugs. They increase adrenaline in the body and give the user excess energy. Methamphetamine is the stronger of the two. Methamphetamine can be snorted, injected, ingested and inhaled. Smoking crystals (crystal meth) results in a huge rush followed by a feeling of euphoria for anything from 2-16 hours plus.
A one day methamphetamine training course focusing on specific interventions, health, psychiatric issues, appropriate treatment and effective ways of working with this client group. The course covers;
- History of amphetamine & methamphetamine.
- Current world and UK situation.
- Current policy / research documents.
- Who is using methamphetamine?
- Types of amphetamine & methamphetamine.
- How they work
- Health and Psychiatric implications.
Aims and objectives
- Increase knowledge and awareness of the issues relating to amphetamine & methamphetamine use.
- Increase knowledge of how amphetamine & methamphetamine is used and the effects upon individual’s physiology and neurology.
- Understand the possible affects on health.
- Understand how specific interventions at relevant stages can increase engagement.
- Increase confidence in working with this client group.
- Increase competence in working with this client group.
Drug and alcohol national occupational standards
- AA1 Recognise indications of substance misuse and refer individuals to specialists.
- HSC233 Relate to, and interact with, individuals.
- HSC3111 Promote the equality, diversity, rights and responsibilities of individuals.
- AB2 Support individuals who are substance users
- HSC33 Develop your own knowledge and practice.
- AD1 Raise awareness about substances, their use and effects.