This one day drug awareness training course covers the different types of commonly used illegal drugs, and also includes new psychoactive substances.
The course covers;
- Current UK situation
- Dispelling myths and stereotypes
- Different types of drugs
- How drugs work
- Health and psychiatric implications
- Support & Treatment
Aims and objectives
- Increase knowledge and awareness of the issues relating to illegal drug use
- Increase knowledge of how drugs are used and the effects upon individual’s physiology and neurology
- Understand the possible affects on health.
- Identify, signpost and refer people who are effected by drugs into the specialist treatment services
Key messages for participants:
Increase confidence in working with this client group
Name commonly used illicit drugs, understand the effects upon emotional and physical health, identify potential vulnerabilities and/or risk behaviours.
Increase competence in working with this client group
Respond effectively using evidence-based interventions and treatment tools to work with individual drug users symptoms / issues. List referral routes and describe the range of service provision on offer.
This drug awareness training course is aimed at services that may come into contact with individuals with drug problems. It is also open to workers new to this area of work and is suitable for people who may need to develop their knowledge of drugs.
Staff who would benefit from the training include:
Drug / Recovery Workers & Managers, Social Workers, Health / Mental Health Workers, Nurses & GPs, Psychiatrist, Youth Workers, Anti-Social Behaviour Workers, Youth Offending Teams, Probation Staff, Prison Staff, Teachers, University Staff, Student Unions, Advertising Charities, Housing Workers, Community Wardens, Police Community Support Officers and Police Officers.
Drug and alcohol national occupational standards
- AA1 Recognise indications of substance misuse and refer individuals to specialists
- HSC233 Relate to, and interact with, individuals
- HSC3111 Promote the equality, diversity, rights and responsibilities of individuals
- AB2 Support individuals who are substance users.
- HSC33 Develop your own knowledge and practice
- AD1 Raise awareness about substances, their use and effects